A cliché is an overused idea – overused to the point where it doesn’t sound like an original and/or creative thought. More importantly, it can hinder the creativity of your lyrics.
While some people can argue that there are a lot of successful songs that use clichés, another person can argue that those songs tend to be prone to ridicule for their simplistic lyrics.
Either way, how you write your lyrics is up to you… but today’s tip is on what to avoid.
Some common clichés appear in the forms of:
- Cliché Rhymes – predictable close rhymes
- Cliché Phrases – commonly-used statements
- Cliché Images – regularly mentioned objects
- Cliché Topics – oversaturated field of song topics
- Cliché Metaphors – typical representations
HOWEVER, clichés can also be used strategically by taking an overused idea and reworking it into a new angle.
This can be done by expanding upon the idea, or reframing how the idea is presented.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read! Feel free to comment, share, and subscribe for more daily tips below! Till next time.