What is a line cliché and is it really a cliché?
Commonly found in jazz music, a line cliché is…
- A line moving between relatively stagnant chord harmonies
- Either ascending or descending
- Going chromatically (more typical) or diatonic
- Staying at the bottom, top, or in the middle of the harmony
- Usually the root, fifth, sixth, or seventh of the harmony
An example would be like such:
We have talked about these before in previous posts, especially with inner lines movements between harmonic changes.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read! Feel free to comment, share, and subscribe for more daily tips below! Till next time.