A surprise is something unexpected – something out of the ordinary. When your lyrics are becoming predictable (AKA expected) you can use a “surprise” to grab the audience’s attention back.
Some examples of “lyrical” surprises are:
- Delaying the resolution of a thyme with an extra line
- Placing the stresses on different words
- Placing the stresses on different beats
- Changing the rhyme scheme/pattern.
- Removing or adding lines to the from.
…or anything else that you can think of. Some modern examples are going from a typical rock song structured verse to maybe a rap.
Whatever you do, be confident in it.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read! Feel free to comment, share, and subscribe for more daily tips below! Till next time.